Monday, October 18, 2010

The Heart Of It All

When I first started this whole journey I really had no idea what to expect. I knew the basics. I was going to be matched with a couple who really wanted a baby but for what ever reason hasn't been able to. I knew there would be hormones that I would have to take and the transfer, and the blood tests... that I understood.
One year and two weeks ago I was matched with my IP's.
They sent me a few photos and we emailed back and forth getting to know each other before we got going with the whole process. I had no idea at that time how this wonderful couple would impact my...our lives.
I feel that each step of the process has brought us closer then expected.
I feel so fortunate to have been chosen by my IP's. Honored to be trusted with their heart for 9 months.
There is just no way to put in to words all the emotion involved. With every ultrasound, pregnancy milestone, Dr appointment update and even the regular everyday conversation.
I still remember how cold mom's hands were when we went in for the transfer. I remember the look on both their faces when they first saw their baby on the ultrasound monitor at 20 weeks, and when they asked if that sound was his heart beating.
I can still hear the concern in their voices when they asked how I was doing. If I was in any discomfort and why I wasn't complaining. Why I wasn't sick in the first trimester, or How I was able to sleep in the last trimester. They even asked the OB if I really was OK. I assured them ...or tried to, that their little Moose was perfectly fine and moving about. Growing well, he just wasn't big enough to make me uncomfortable.

Mom and Dad came to our Dr's appointment on Tuesday October 12th. They came back the next day for our Non Stress Test, we made plans for them to be back for the next Non Stress Test on Saturday the 16th...until I woke up Thursday morning.

I called Mom and Dad at 7:30 am and told them that my water had broken. I've never gone in to labour on my own. Both my labours were induced. I had no idea how long it would take to go from water breaking to birth without the help of pitocin.
We had a lot of time to kill. I walked...I walked a lot. At one point the contractions were 2 minutes apart. Not the least bit painful though. We made rubber glove turkeys, my mom showed us some line dancing moves. We had Tim's for lunch, lots of talking, laughing, hanging out.
And Mom's hands were cold. I remembered her cold hands again from transfer day.
With my contractions not doing anything and being almost 12 hours from my water breaking we decided to go ahead with pitocin. We were assured that it would only take a "whiff" to get things going.
We all watched the monitors. Siobhan explained to Mom and Dad that for the contractions to be good enough they had to be mountains not little hills. However the bigger the mountain the more upset Mom seemed to get and couldn't watch anymore. At this point they were getting painful but I knew it was only the beginning.
Then they asked me to roll on my side. I remember from labouring with Ethan that this was not going to go well. Fortunately I was only there for a couple of contractions and Dr Viljoen was there, checked me and told me to start pushing.
I had Mom and Dad and my Mom on one side, and Doula and Friend Siobhan on the other. I could hear every emotion Mom was feeling and I felt them along with her, for her. Their long awaited son was on his way, this was when I get to give their heart back. This was why I decided to do what I did. "Mom open your eyes! Your son is coming!" I was SO excited for Mom and Dad. One more push and he was here. "Dad cut the cord" I know Dad was anxious about this but he did it. Moose was here. They took him over to do all the weighing, measuring, diapering and swaddling. Mom got ready to hold her son for the first time.
I got to watch as this beautiful family finally came together for the first time. I was the one chosen to make this happen for them. Such an amazing moment!

I think one of the best things we did during this pregnancy was to have Mom and Dad make audio files so that I could put them on my iPod for the baby to get to know Mom and Dads voices.
I was so happy that our hospital encourages skin to skin for warming baby, then using the warming lights. The most amazing photo I have is Mom sitting in the chair with her baby, She talking to him and he's staring in to her eyes. It's beautiful! Because of those audio files Moose knows his Mom and Dad's voices and he's easily comforted by them.

Isn't he beautiful!
He's a perfect combination of Mom and Dad.

3 comments:

  1. I have just read your last post and I would like to tell you my great emotion and admiration for what you did and do for "Mom and Dad". Thank to you, little baby has totally changed their life.

    As you know, before they met you, they had such a hole in their life... and now, it is so wonderful and incredible!... Many loves to you and family.

    Dad's Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shedding a few tears as I read this. Thanks for sharing your story. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete